Last week I brought a lovely vintage looking screen printed cotton throw from a local op shop. I knew instantly that I wanted to use it in a quilt for my bed. So I popped Dow to the local quilting shop and picked out a few pre-cut layer cakes to sew up a very quick and easy quilt top.
I then hand stitched the quilt together using some cotton. It took me a week to complete, it was very simple but I love the end result. It is gorgeous.
The hand stitched paper pieced quilt for Jaylise is finally finished, and two weeks earlier than planned which is a bonus. I borrowed dannii’s sewing machine yesterday to machine quilt the laters together and finished it off.
I am in love with it and I can’t wait to give it to her.
I want one for myself now but unfortunately I have now started a trend and I have at least four more to make over the next few months for others.
I already have the fabric and templates ready for the next one which will be a star quilt.
It will be for one of the twins who’s birthday is in September, the other twin will be getting one too but I’m not sure of the design just yet. One quilt at a time…
After being inspired on Pinterest and also by a lovely friend who has just started, I’ve decided my latest project will be a paper pieced hexi quilt… Well to be honest i’ll be very impressed if I complete something big enough to become a cushion let alone a quilt, but we will see how we go.
I picked up my supplies this afternoon. I’ve decided to use the moda/Cosmo cricket range Twenty Three because it took my fancy and seemed very me with all those cameras
I’m catching up with some lovely ladies for an all day craft-a-thon on Sunday (as well as my regular Friday morning craft group) so after the weekend ill pop back in with my progress. I am once again choosing to ignore the numerous other half finished projects in my craft cupboard…..
I am inspired by this sweet little cushion I found on Flickr
I love the way the patterned hexagons fade into plain ones.
But then I also love the traditional flower garden design.
Have any of you ever had a go at this? Did you find it as addictive and therapeutic as many others seem to find it? I’d love to see your results.
Ps: Noah’s hearing test today went surprisingly well, despite both ears being blocked up with wax he managed to get his best result to date and picked up on a good range of frequencies which means he may have avoided grommets again for now. We will see what the ENT says.
I woke up this morning all inspired by the sunshine and decided to sew a new dress for myself. I pulled out my Colette Macaron pattern and picked out some vintage fabric from my stash. The hardest part was trying to pick out the contrast fabric, it was hard to find something to match but I finally settled on some jersey fabric with a vintage mint green floral cotton fabric for the main dress part.
I have made this dress before, it is quite easy although some parts are a little fiddly. I also have to customize the pattern to fit me a little bit as I have quite a short torso, which involves a little more messing around than normal. But once it was all cut out it didn’t take too long to see it all together.
I was a little worried about the fabric combination half way through sewing but I think it has worked out ok in the end. The best part about this dress (and a lot of the other dresses in the Colette range) is that it has hidden pockets. I love wearing dresses but often they are not practical because there is nowhere to keep your keys or other bits and pieces you always end up carrying around as a mum.
I’m going to wear it out to lunch tomorrow with my man and his family for fathers day since its meant to be a lovely day. I’m all inspired to go op shopping for some more vintage fabrics to make a few more dresses now. That’s what a few days of sunshine and the promise of summer does to me.
I confess, I have a new obsession that I can’t seem to get enough of. It’s called needle felting and I have been admiring some gorgeous creatures on Etsy for ages now. I always thought it would be one of those things that looks simple but in reality is incredibly difficult but I was pleasantly surprised.
Basically you start out with some wool roving (wool that hasn’t been spun yet) and a felting needle. Then you pretty much just stab the incredibly sharp needle into the roving about a billion times (and into your fingers just as many times) gradually felting the wool together and shaping as you go. It sounds tricky but after watching a few YouTube videos you get the hang of it quickly.
This is my forth attempt, the first three were rather dismal but I must say I am in love with this little darling and I’m very pleased with my efforts.
She is about three inches tall and so very cute.
I didn’t use a pattern as such, I just modeled her off a few different ones I have saved on pinterest, using them as inspiration. You can get several books with instructions however all the good ones are in Japanese which adds to the challenge.
I have since had requests from several children to make a sheep, puppy, dinosaur and a pig so I’d better get cracking… And possibly invest in some kind of mesh gloves or my fingers are going to resemble pin cushions.